Recipe: Yellow Quinoa With Turmeric for Immune Support
Teri Lyn Fisher
Try this Yellow Quinoa with parsley and almonds from dietitian Rachel Beller's Power Spicing for a delicious side dish packed with immune-boosting properties.
This delicious Yellow Quinoa from Rachel Beller, MS, RDN, incorporates turmeric for a powerful (and delicious) punch that will brighten your plate while improving your health.
Ingredients (serves 2 or 3)
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup sliced raw almonds
1 cup shredded carrots (about 1 large carrot; optional)
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until translucent.
2. Add the turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well for about 30 seconds, or until the spices are fragrant.
3. Add the 2 cups water and quinoa to the saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Stir the parsley, almonds, and shredded carrots (if using) into the quinoa, and serve warm or chilled.
5. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to four days.
Learn more about boosting immunity and battling inflammation with powerhouse spices turmeric and ginger, plus additional recipes to boot.
Reprinted with permission from Power Spicing, © 2019 by Rachel Beller, MS, RDN. Photographs © 2019 by Teri Lyn Fisher. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.