Cinnamon Millet Porridge with Fresh Figs, Cranberries & Roasted Nuts
A delicious hit of cinnamon. Whether you enjoy this heart-warming breakfast on a cold winter morning or in the middle of summer, it’s perfect to start the day off right. Not only filling, this porridge (oatmeal) will keep you energised throughout the day and make your tummy happy and satisfied. You’ve never had millet for breakfast before? Then it’s about time you try it! Millet is one of my favourite whole grains to make porridge with. And its delicious, nutty taste goes so well with cinnamon and figs.
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) water
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons millet
- 100 ml (3 1/2 fl oz) milk of choice, e.g. soy, almond, rice milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2–3 teaspoon maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 fresh figs
- 1 tablespoon dried unsweetened cranberries
- 2–3 teaspoons crushed pistachios, roasted
- 2–3 teaspoons crushed pecans, roasted
- maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Bring the water and the salt to a boil, add the millet and cook in a saucepan over a medium heat for about 12–14 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, turn down the heat a bit and cook for another 4–5 minutes.
- For the topping, put the crushed pistachios and pecans into a frying pan (skillet), drizzle some maple syrup on top and toast over a medium heat for a couple of minutes or until golden brown. Take off the heat and let them cool.
- Add another dash of milk to the porridge if desired and pour into your breakfast bowl.
- Cut the figs into quarters and arrange them on top of the porridge. Sprinkle over the cranberries and roasted nuts. If you like you can drizzle more maple syrup on top.
Recipes excerpted with permission from Eat Better Not Less by Nadia Damaso, published by Hardie Grant Books. Photograph credit: Nadia Damaso